Elasti-Girl

My photo
Hi There, I'm Kris. I'm a quirky sort who loves silly jokes, sunflowers, music, divine interruptions and music. I am devoted to my nerdly, ginger-haired husband, our 3 living & growing kids, and missing our 1 Babe in Heaven. We journey together through this life, dancing to our own beat, while learning each step as my children and I are effected by a life-threatening & degenerative chronic illness called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS). Please look on the "What is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome" to the bottom right of the page to learn more about EDS. I believe I have been given this journey in order to over come it, and this is my story of how I get it done.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Strong in spirit

:0)
That's me; strong in spirit & in my ability to be a goof.  I sometimes feel frustrated that these two characteristics of mine, being as large as they are, aren't strong enough to overcome or overpower my body's weaknesses.  Other times though, I realize they help me to transcend my body's inadequacies & find the laughter & joy that lay around unnoticed in our world of hyper-activity.  This week, in my continued state of more-than-usual pain, GI illness & of course the unending balance of my job, family & Dr. appts, I found myself able to create a smile in others by simply being there and being open to the opportunity of experience joy- and it blessed me more than anyone.  I found it as I walked the halls of the hospital, wearing my knee-length napkin gown & robe w/ my Punky Brewster-inspired colorfully striped knee socks & converse and stopping to talk with those I recognized (and some I did not) in along the way to my next destination.  I found it when talking with the technicians and nurses in the cardiac unit about yoga and how it's benefited me, even when my body barely allows me to do a beginner's DVD (despite my years of practice)- that now has said technician & nurses looking for those same DVD's for themselves.  I found it at work, while after a really bad (but punny!) joke, someone marveled at how obvious it is that my spirit, being joyful,  is so separated from my body that binds me to pain.  These small moments have each propelled me to the next opportunity & inspired me in a way that good health could not, and while in my weak nature I'd still take good health, I'm thankful for the opportunity to have a glimpse at something not bound to the earth- grace & joy.

Hey!  Did you see that corduroy pillows are making headlines????
Ha!
:0


As for an update: I don't have much of one, just another week of testing under my belt.  This week should be the last, with a full abdominal & pelvic CAT scan tomorrow (meow)  and an OT/PT evaluation on Tuesday.  I'm expecting GI answers once the CAT scan is read, my biopsies should be coming back around the same time (I hope).  I am currently wearing a heart monitor for another 12 days, but I'm only expecting some blood pressure regulating meds for that (for low b/p).   I'm ready to be done with these tests, and move on to some solutions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment